Stretching…you think you do it enough but are you really? When you are in a hurry, you tend to bypass this daily activity. Don’t. The benefits of daily stretching far outweigh the time you feel it takes out of your day. Face it, every day we wake up, we stretch. When we stand up, we stretch. So incorporating extra stretching into your day is easy. It’s as easy as laying in bed an extra five minutes and stretching there or when you get home from work as you wind down.
In case you didn’t know, I’ll share some benefits of stretching that I bet you didn’t know:
1. Improve Emotional Wellbeing – When you are stressed, you are tense. When you’re tense, most people have negative thoughts. By stretching, you relax your muscles which in turn relaxes the mind.
2. Improve Posture – When you wake up in the morning, your muscles have been in one position all night. I don’t know about you, but when I get out of bed, my posture is scrunched, and I’m a bit bent over. The same goes for sitting at a desk or standing all day. Our muscles tighten up and change our posture. By stretching the muscles around your spine, you will have less pain and less slouching.
3. Improve Flexibility – As we get older, we begin to lose the elasticity in our muscles. By stretching every day, we stay limber and reduce our chances of injury.
4. Improve Endurance – Stretching reduces muscle fatigue and improves blood flow. Getting fatigued during exercise is common as you burn energy, but by stretching first, you have increased the oxygen flow, and thereby you increase your endurance.
5. Improve Energy Levels – Being an engineer, I know that sitting all day our muscles tighten, and that tires me out. Stretching will help loosen those muscles and revitalize you, so you’re more alert. It’s great to stand up from your desk in the middle of the day and do a few stretches. Your boss will appreciate your alertness and energy boost.
There are a great number of other reasons for stretching, but you get the gist.
Most of you know my story and my quest for developing The Spine Wizard Back Stretcher, but those who don’t, I invite you to visit my website to learn more about my incredible journey.